Christmastime in Valencia
Whether you’re staying in Valencia to spend Christmas or you will be here for the month of December leading up to Christmas, there is plenty to do around this time of year, apart from being able to enjoy the mild Mediterranean winter and sunny weather! You’ll be happy to find many traditional Christmas events around the city; here are some ideas of Christmas Festivities to see or do in Valencia:
Enjoy Christmas Festivities (La Nadalenca) at Plaza de Toros
The Plaza de Toros will be turned into a Christmas lover’s dream come true. Each weekend different events will be held (think Christmas markets, beer festivals, food markets, and more!), along with performances including comedians, musicals, concerts, and family activities! Opening December 1st, there are events all throughout the month until January 6th!
Go Shopping at the Christmas Markets in Valencia
- City of Arts and Sciences – Christmas workshops, musical events, marionette theaters, a variety of gastronomic delights at food trucks – from December 13th to January 5th
- Plaza de Mercado – the square of Mercado Central turns into a classical central market – from December 1st to January 6th
- Plaza de la Reina (The Artesanal Markets) – from November 29th to January 6th
- Mercado de Colon (The Artesanal Markets) – from December 12th to January 5th
- Ruzafa – The Christmas Design Market (El Creativo) – December 14th and 15th
See the Belenes (Nativity Scenes)
All over the city you’ll find lights and Christmas decorations, but the most festive areas of the city are the main squares like Plaza Ayuntamiento and Plaza de la Reina. The life-size nativity scene in Plaza de la Reina is especially famous since it’s built by Fallas artists! ‘Belenes’, or nativity scenes are a very special and significant Valencian Christmas tradition. You can find many of them displayed in the city center, full of beautiful handcrafted figurines of different sizes, colors and styles. The main nativity scenes will be located in Plaza de la Reina, Mercado Colon as well as in indoor locations like Salón de Cristal in the City Hall of Valencia, in the National Ceramics Museum and the Crafts Centre (el Centro de Artesanía), but you may discover many others while wandering the beautiful streets of Valencia.
Visit a Christmas Circus Show
– El Circo Raluy Legacy with its new show #THEMAGICFORMULA. An impressive show that is appealing to both kids and adults, taking place in La Marina de València.
– El Gran Circo Wonderland comes to Valencia with its new show, ‘Infraworld’. Located in Avenida Pío Baroja, in front of the Bioparc.
– El Gran Circo Alaska comes back this year with two new shows – the unique show with animals in 3D holograms, and the second show will be the musical of Scaramouche «The Lion King»
Check out our Facebook page here to stay tuned for more information about current events in Valencia!